Saturday, December 20, 2014

One month in



We have been in America for a little over a month and its been an incredible experience. It has been fun to watch Fahamu go through this experience to watch him see and do things for the first time. Things that I think are small and not that exciting are the complete opposite for Fahamu. Going into a grocery store is something that I find boring, but Fahamu finds it exciting to see all they items they have in the store. There are times where I forget that this is Fahamu's first time here. The other night we went to the bowling ally and for me it was just another place. For Fahamu, he was experiencing the bowling ally for the first time. The smell of the shoes, the sounds of pins being knocked over and just the atmosphere of the bowling ally. I try to put myself in his shoes and try to think of how strange America must be to him.
Our first trip was to Crater Lake and it was such an amazing experience. There was lots of snow but the sun was out and shining. The lake looked like glass and that it would break if anything hit it. Fahamu's smile was so great to see. He was experiencing snow for the first time. 

Fahamu got to experience what its like have Thanksgiving in America. Yes we did have a lot of food but we also had family there. We got to sit and visit with family and share stores of the past. It was nice to be with family just relaxing and having a great time. 

We got to experience the American bus system. Instead of driving to Idaho we decided it would be better to take the grey hound bus. I have to say that I do enjoy these buses much more then the buses in Africa.  While in Idaho we got to stay with friends who are pastoring a church. This was the first church that we to speak at and it was such a blessing. I saw how excited people were to hear our story. It encouraged me to see that people truly care about what we are doing. We also got invited to a spanish speaking church. We shared a brief over view of who we were and what we were about. The spanish speaking church was so caring. Not really knowing who we were they did an offering for us. This trip to Idaho really made me feel better about our ministry and our future. Also on this trip Fahamu got to experience what its like to cut down a Christmas tree. 


This last month has been so much fun. We are excited to share our story and ministry with everyone. We have seen how generous people really are. I have felt so much love and support. Fahamu has been busy helping my dad around the farm, feed the cows, fixing fences and chopping wood. Its nice that Fahamu gets to see how I grew up and where I am from. As we continue our trip I hope to make many more memories. I will try to write more so everyone can experience this trip with us. 






No comments:

Post a Comment